Sunday, May 25, 2008

More words of wisdom from Mr. Peart

My favorite rock drummer, Neil Peart, says this on one of his instructional DVDs:

"Be inspired by your accomplishments and not threatened by your limitations."

I like that!

Hearing that made me think about my own accomplishments and limitations as a dancer and artist. I feel like I have a few accomplishments, achievements that I'm proud of and that I worked really hard to attain. And then I thought of my limitations. My main limitation is time. There's never enough time in the day for me to accomplish all that I want with my art. Sometimes I do feel threatened by my limitations, but I have to look at them as not hindrances but a framework: How much can I do within these boundaries? How much can I push myself within the box of my own schedule and my own limits?

I think as artists it's really easy to be discouraged by those elements of our lives that appear to hold us back from really flourishing.


What do you feel limits you? What are your accomplishments as an artist and as a human? Take a moment to reflect and maybe your limitations are guidelines in disguise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often feel like time is my limitation too. There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day to fit in dancing in addition to everything else. I find it very frustrating! I like your point about viewing such "limitations" like time as framework instead. Much more positive and manageable.