Saturday, October 25, 2008

Returning after a long hiatus.

Greetings, dear readers... I know I have abandoned you for quite a while, but this Modern Day Warrior has been... busy. Very very busy. And because I've been so busy, I haven't had any ponderings that I thought worthy of the blog. I've been hosting, attending, and teaching workshops in addition to my day-to-day teaching weekly classes, working full time, and trying to spend some quality time with my husband... let alone some quality time alone.

One thing I have been doing that has been incredibly calming is drawing... My husband signed me up for a 9-week session of figure drawing class at the Art League in Alexandria. Once a week, I enter the studio, giant sketch pads in hand, and clear my head.

It's like yoga for my mind. I don't have to worry if my drawings are good or what others will think of them. I just focus, and everything else slips away... I spend those 2 and a half hours a week looking at how the shadows form on the model's body, seeing how the muscles and joints connect together, shading here, erasing and lightening there. Why didn't I do this before?

I used to draw all the time. Any free moment I had was spent with my sketchbook (a 9x12 Strathmore recycled sketch, with the green cover). When I draw, the world slips away.

I've posted a few of my sketches (from a visit to the New England Aquarium and some other random things) on Flickr, for those who'd like to see. They're nothing spectacular, but it will give you an idea of what I do. While dance is a job (albeit one I absolutely love), when I draw I don't have to worry about what others will think or whether that performance will end up on YouTube.

Do you have something that just makes the world slip away, where you feel no pressure, no anxiety, and no one but yourself? Drawing makes me feel like that.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Knitting is my meditation. Stitch after stitch creating a pattern or fabric of my choosing, seeing the fruits of my labor. On occasion it is obligatory, as I do design patterns for companies, but often it is just for me, or the person I am making something for, and the experience is grounding :)

Anonymous said...

I love to color. I don't care how old I get, never too old for coloring. Sometimes, you forget what it's like to hold something in your hand and make pretty colors come out from it. I like getting books with cartoon animals in them and just color away. I get tired of having responsibility and worrying about what other people think. It's good to let the kid in me step out for awhile and just be happy doing something pretty and repetitive.

Anonymous said...

Sewing has always been a meditative thing for me. That's why I'm so prolific with my costuming lately.

Desirée said...

Yay for drawing! I love figure drawing and wish that I had the opportunity to do it more often. In my collge drawing classes we drew from a live model nearly every day and I miss that experience a lot. It's one of the few enjoyable things I can recall from college...